Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 2: Seeking Him

It is day 2 of officially being celibate and of starting this blog. Of course day 2 is easy, but I haven't even told my boyfriend about this blog yet. That should be interesting.

I woke up 3am this morning, with this idea of "Seeking God" on my heart. I'm in a middle of a fast and of course during this time of sacrifice I'm spending even more time with God.

Then, I thought about my friends that wouldn't be able to relate to this because they don't understand this concept of actively seeking and connecting with God.

I have plenty of friends, sisters, and bothers that already have strong, admirable relationships with God.

Yet, I have friends who don't. Friends who are curious, or better still starting to feel that everlasting tug, on the rope that God has tied around our souls, pulling and longing for us to get closer to Him.

Sometimes, I have to remind myself of what I need to do to be consistent in this walk...no matter how long you have been a Christian, we all know we have to constantly seek God.

Why?

Because the enemy is just waiting, with one eye always open, to seep in, take over and destroy. No matter how...in my case it's temptation. "You can stay over his house tonight, why not?"

or it could be "Why not go to this one party?" "Why not have just one drink?" Knowing full well you don't know when to stop drinking in the first place.

or "I can go to church next Sunday." "I can read my bible tomorrow."

I can go on and on with these examples, because I have seen, not only myself, but those around me fall victim to this trap.

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast" 1Peter 5:8-10.



Seeking God is like Training for a Marathon

1. Prayer: There are so many reasons why we pray. We talk to God through prayer, we connect with Him, and understand His will. It's how we stay in our father's will and obtain the solutions to our situations. We are commanded to pray. (Philippians 4:6-7) I read that for a Christian, praying is like breathing...and it really is!

2. STAY IN YOUR WORD: How are you to know how to live a righteous life, obtain peace, and work for the Kingdom if your are not following the manual. This isn't your new Blackberry you actually have to read this manual OVER AND OVER AND OVER!

3. Church: The Bride of Christ.(Ephesians 5:21-33) Yes you have to attend Church. I can't say it any better than this site
"Christ as the “head” and the church as the “body.” 1 Corinthians chapter 12 further explains how the church (the body) is made up of individuals who work together, pooling their talents, skills, and strengths—all for the purpose of helping as many people as possible get right with God and grow closer to Him. To refuse to be a part of the body is to say that we do not want to follow God’s plan. In a sense, such people believe that by acting on their own that they have a better plan than God does. There is a lot of arrogance in such thinking."
(There is song about everything now a days):

4. Bible Study: sometimes Church every Sunday isn't enough to learn how to apply this manual to our everyday lives. I strongly encourage everyone to regularly attend a bible study. The more we receive and dissect the word the better.

5. Christian Music: I'm not saying you can never listen to secular music...I love some Erykah Badu. But if you a music head like me and it reflects who you are and your emotions it probably affects you the other way around also. Monkey see Monkey do...if your listening to it all the time...your more likely to do it. I challenge everyone to go three weeks without listening to secular music. There is Christian music for everyone's taste now a days, rock, hip-hop, r&b, jazz ect. Just google it, and when you find an artist up your alley....Pandora it.

6. Personal Devotions: There is nothing like writing out your issues, concerns, and etc, finding scriptural references about it and meditating on it. Sometimes you can do a scripture a day sometimes you may be on a scripture for a week or a month. Its a great way of not just seeking God but your inner self as well.

7. PRAYER



side note: As i stated I'm a huge music head and I love this song. I wanted to share:(low key how many times have we seen a mother handle her child like that CRAZY!)

No comments:

Post a Comment